5 Things to Remember When You're Having a Bad Day
So, you're having a bad day. Whooptie-do. Bring out the tissues. Or better yet, bring out the wine. When you're done feeling sorry for yourself, pull up a chair (or the screen) and read the next sentence.
It could always be worse.
What? Were you waiting for something profound?
I know it's easy to lose sight of our blessings when we can't see past what's going on in the moment. But, life goes on and so should you. However, if you need more convincing, here's my favorite list of things to remember when you're having a bad day.
1. Without hard times you won't appreciate the good time.
Brittany Spears is a great example of learning from the hard times. The chick was once bald. And, she didn't pull it off like Demi. Thankfully, she now knows to keep away from the clippers when she's having a bad day.
2. Success doesn't happen over night.
I'm not going to get into much detail here. Just take a look at this list of actors who didn't become famous until after they hit 40:
- Morgan Freeman (at the age of 50)
- Tommy Lee Jones (at the age of 47)
- Melissa Ann McCarthy (at the age of 41)
- Samuel L. Jackson (at the age of 44)
- Leslie Nielsen (at the age of 54)
- Kathy Bates (at the age of 42)
- Pierre Richard (at the age of 42)
3. Cry, get angry, but please, don't unpack your bags and move in.
Look, it's mentally and emotionally okay to let lose those negative emotions. If you let those feelings build up without release, you’ll have a much harder time dealing with them later. Just don't linger in that shit forever. Grab life by the balls and move the fuck on.
4. Penguins have knees they don't use.
Yes, I totally went there. Can you imagine having a gift and not using it? Think about it.
Penguins have adapted themselves to the point where they no longer need the full use of their legs. They'd much rather waddle around and fall over themselves than go hungry. (They've evolved to be more aquatic due to food sources.)
Now, imagine you had a gift and you chose not to use it.
See where I'm getting at.
Sure, you've had a bad day. Cry a little. Scream and shout and let it all out. (I totally meant to write that.) But, whatever you do, don't linger in the bullshit. Everyone has bad days. Even me. (My laptop literally restarted itself while I was writing this post and the batter was at 90%. I lost everything after number three. Did I complain and cry? No. I just kept on writing.)
Anyway, you know what helps??? Learning from your mistakes and my handy dandy list of affirmations for a bad day.
Don't say I never gave you anything.
Affirmations for a bad day
1. Today, I will live in the moment. Unless it is unpleasant in which case I will drink wine.
2. I have the strength to face the challenges before me.
3. I focus on what I can do
4. I am grateful for every learning experience I have had today.
5. Things are working out for me.
6. Today, I will not let others bring me down.
7. Every open door is an exciting oportunity.